HealthRHYTHMS was developed after leading neurologist and mind-body researcher Dr. Barry Bittman, MD led a renowned research team in the first biological study on the effects of group drumming in 2000. The protocol developed from this medical research showed the health benefits of drumming with a group, including stress reduction, mood improvement and a boost to the immune system.Facilitated by Darlene Francis, RN, BSN, students were introduced to the mind, body, spirit, and community aspects of drumming as well as psychoneuroimmunology, rhythmacology, homeostasis, and beat induction. Students also discussed in detail how these methods could be applied to real-life settings and the theory of beat induction being a trait unique to humans.
- Follow DrumSoulDance on WordPress.com
- African dance and drumming ensemble Dema prepares for year-end performances – Emerald Media
- ‘Powwow Sweat’ Promotes Fitness Through Traditional Dance : Shots – Health News : NPR
- Walk, Stretch or Dance? Dancing May Be Best for the Brain – The New York Times
- What is Therapeutic Drumming?
- The Garden of Eden of Music and Dance
- Honors College Students Learn through West African Dance
- MultiBrief: Dancing, sports share common ground
- Dance Returns The ‘Joy Of Movement’ To People With Parkinson’s : Shots – Health News : NPR
- Does experience with music enhance other areas of the brain?
- Being A Musician Is Good For Your Brain | The Huffington Post
- More Important Matters
- A Meditation on Crisis, by Christine Stevens
- Drumming Defines Us – An Ode to Remo Belli
- Group Drumming Research – Summary of Six Studies
- Remo organizes International Symposium featuring music therapy & drumming for wellness
- Vitamin D – Vitamin Drum – Drumming for Health, by Christine Stevens
- Drumming with Oncology Patients & Cancer Survivors, by Christine Stevens
- What is a drum circle? by Christine Stevens
- Creating a Musically Accessible Culture by Christine Stevens
- Could Drum Circles be the next Ropes Course? by Christine Stevens & Christofer DeGraal